memory and VM issues

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Jul 21 00:27:54 UTC 2005

On 20-Jul-05, at 3:56 PM, Ross Boylan wrote:

>> The 1105 revision point is when Ian started to work on the 32/64 bit
>> logic which needs the VMMaker changes Tim hasn't pushed out yet.
>> So if you get the 1105 tree, although I think it might be the 1100
>> revision you  need since that pre-dates Ian's changes.
>>

> "So if you get the 1105 tree," what?  The main body of the sentence
> seems missing.

Tim mentioned 1105, but if you look at the revision update names it
seems the last work
done before the 64 bit stuff started was revision 1100

> Where does this leave me with respect to being able to use your
> garbage collection work?  (Maybe that's the missing stuff after the
> "if you get the 1105 version?).
>
> It sounds as if that stuff is in later versions of the source code,
> and so isn't too approachable while the engine parts are all over the
> floor (to borrow Tim's original metaphor).

I'm looking at taking the Squeak3.8-6665-basic.zip from the ftp site,
applying the GCInstrumentJMMImprovementsAR.1.cs  and JMMGCMonitor.
4.cs from ftp.smalltalkconsulting.com/squeakGarbage/
and grabbing the 1100 source tree. Then seeing if I can make it all
work. So hang on a moment

===