Chronos

Alan Lovejoy squeak-dev.sourcery at forum-mail.net
Thu Jul 21 02:52:30 UTC 2005

Howard:

Thanks for the reference to Kronos, and its history.  I wasn't aware of them
at all.

However, there's some other products and companies named Chronos (some of
which are trademarked, by the way) of which you may not be aware.

For example:

	A company named Chronos: http://www.chronosnet.com/;
	A company named Chronos, Ltd: http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/
	A product called Chronos System: http://www.chronos.org/
	An open source Web Calendar named Chronos:
http://chronoss.sourceforge.net/
	A product called Chronos for smartphones:
http://www.eldos.com/chronos/ (trademarked)
	And a clock application for Windows named Chronos (a commercial
product): http://www.rainbow-innov.co.uk/content/chronos.asp

And there's pages and pages of the same in any Google search for "Chronos."
If one searches at the USPTO, one also finds many trademarks with "Chronos"
in the name--and more than one that are simply "Chronos"--several of them
currently active.

Given these products with these names, I wouldn't have much to worry about
with respect to Kronos corporation's trademark, even if the Chronos
Date/Time Library for Smalltalk were a commercial product.  The reason is
due to dilution of the name caused the unchallenged usage of the name by all
these others.

However, Chronos is not a commercial product, and so could not be held to
infringe anyone's trademark in any case.  And if you don't believe that, I
advise you to do your own thorough, comprehensive and authoritative research
on the subject--just as I have done on all matters related to the Chronos
Date/Time Library.

--Alan