memory and VM issues

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Jul 22 06:58:47 UTC 2005

The GCInstrumentJMMImprovementsAR, adds changes by myself for GC
statistics, and changes by Andreas for Weak Object processing.
The FloatProto is removed from the ObjectMemory definition, but you
are missing the changes to a class method that deletes it, that
change is in
unreleased versions of VMMaker.

mmm as for the crash, if you hand edit JMMGCMonitor.4.cs and remove
the "Smalltalk recreateSpecialObjectsArray." at the bottom
then file in, does it still crash?

On 21-Jul-05, at 11:22 PM, Ross Boylan wrote:

> 1. base  Squeak3.8-6665 image.
> 2. open squeakmap
> 3. load Balloon3D
> 4. load PackageInfo (apparently update from 16->18). It recommends
> 4. save image.
> 5. Open Monticello browser and load VMMaker38b4.
> 6. save
> 7. file in GCInstrumentJMMImprovementsAR.1.cs.
> I get a warning that FloatProto is still used in ObjectMemory.
> 8. save.
> 9. file in JMMGCMonitor.4.cs
> 10. save.
> Crash.  Looks same as before.
>
> Theory: JMMGCMonitor should only be used with VM's built with
> GCInstrumentJMMImprovementsAR.
>
> So perhaps I should try again, skipping step 9?
>
> And then build the VM?  I was not going to do any editing of the
> VMMaker code in this new version.
>
> What about the FloatProto warning?

===