memory and VM issues

Tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Jul 24 04:46:32 UTC 2005

Ah, more mix'n'match pain I'm afraid.

The VMMaker.37 expects the latest SVN source rather than the 1100
revision.

Ross Boylan <RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org> wrote:

> Smashing success until I actually tried to make.
> 1. base Squeak3.8-665
> 2. load VMMaker-tpr.37. save.
> 3. load JMMGCMonitor.4.cs. save.
> 4. VMM38-gc-instrument-image.1.cs. save.
> 5. VMM38-64bit-imageUpdates.1.cs. save.
> 6. open VMMaker. make all internal plugins.
>    leave "64 bit VM?" unchecked!
All souinds good so far. You definitely want to leave the 64 bit switch
off for now.

>    save vmmaker.config from VMMaker.
> 7. generate entire
>
> In configuration, I noticed 2 directory related problems.  First, it
> looks for src, not src32, probably because svn 1100 predates that.  I
> used the config arguments to straighten it out.
This is where the latest SVN revision would make a difference.

> Second, my "top" directory is not called platforms.  In a couple of
> instances, the config script generated messages indicating it was
> still looking there:
> checking whether doubles are stored in Squeak order... no
> ../official/unix/config/configure: line 21858: cd:
/usr/local/src/squeak/platforms/unix: No such file or directory
Unfortunately at some point a 'standard' has to be assumed for the sake
of sanity. I imagine that the unix config can probably twist things
suficiently that you could use any directory names and paths but why
make life extra difficult?

Update the svn tree to the latest and try again. Isn't this fun?

tim
--
Tim Rowledge, tim at rowledge.org, http://www.rowledge.org/tim
The computer is mightier than the pen, the sword, and usually, the