Port of AbstractSound framework to VW

Shaping shaping at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 24 06:05:13 UTC 2005

Hi everyone.

I'm porting John Maloney's Abstract framework to VW 7.3.  John, are you here?

I have some questions about how to do this.  There are some Squeak primitives
involved, and I'm wondering whether these must be implemented in VW first using
the userprim stuff in the VW bin\win\userprim directory.  I could use some
perspective and guidance on what is required here.

I need only clean digital audio.  STP says that the DA in Siren works but pops
because callbacks are not quite fast enough.  Does anyone know whether the
AbstractSound framework has solved this problem?

Briefly, I need to produce pop-free, 44.1 KHz, 16-bit amplitude sounds by
creating waves in real-time.  The intent is to build an array in real-time
containing the wave, and send this as .wav structure to the sound card, but I
don't want to have to create a .wave file.  I know that there are some buffer
swaps involved, and I'm assuming that the framework takes care of this.
Suggestions are welcome.

Shaping