SqueakSource problems

Adrian Lienhard adi at netstyle.ch
Thu Jul 28 08:19:06 UTC 2005

SqueakSource is up again.
The description of Michael exactly fits to what happened this time...
We originally guessed that it has to do with the vm because we had to
use an old 3.2 solaris version. But as it seams that problem also
happens on newer and other platforms. One thing that has happened to
us several times was that the ui was not responding anymore but with
an alt-. you could bring it back to life instantly. That did not work
this time. Another strange thing is that the regular saving of the
image (for persisting the meta data) suddenly stops because the delay
that we use suddenly waits not only one hour as it should but some
thousand hours... We also guessed that this has to do with the vm. I
hope that with the new server and some work we can make SqueakSource
stable in the future. Since all committed versions are written to
disc, there should be no loss of data with these failures apart from
meta-data which can be reconstructed automatically except for changes
in access rights, or the registration of new users.

Adrian