LookEnhancements enhancement

Adrian Lienhard adi at netstyle.ch
Fri Jul 29 09:11:41 UTC 2005

On Jul 29, 2005, at 6:18 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> You should run these with a 3.8.8b6 mac VM and see what happens.

the new vm does not seam to have an effect (this is without
LookEnhancement):

3.7.4b1, 3.8 image:
11076
10100
10074

3.8.8b6, 3.8 image:
11491
11399
11682

3.7.4b1, 3.9 image:
7745
7706
8282
7938

3.8.8b6, 3.9 image:
7877
7951
7876
8500

Initially, I came up with these numbers because I suspected
LookEnhancement to have negative influence on performance, which not
seams to be true. A nice finding is that the performance improvements
in 3.9 are remarkable.

Cheers,
Adrian

> On 28-Jul-05, at 6:24 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>

>> Hi John,
>>
>> I've rerun this on a 3.8 and the very newest 3.9a on my PowerBook
>> 1.25GHz, on a mac 3.7beta1 vm.
>>
>> On the 3.9a image, LookEnh was even faster than without, in 3.8 it
>> was slower.  There were some performance improvements in 3.9 which
>> seam to have quite some effect. From those numbers, I guess that
>> LookEnh does not have the impact on performance I thought. At
>> least we would need to do some better benchmarks to get reliable
>> numbers...
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Adrian
>>
>> BTW, here my numbers:
>>
>> 3.8 without LookEnh
>> 9143
>> 9226
>>
>> 3.8 with LookEnh:
>> 9900
>> 10151
>> 9672
>>
>> 3.9 without LookEnh
>> 7688
>> 7594
>>
>> 3.9 with LookEnh
>> 6848
>> 6762
>> 7414
>>

>> On Jul 28, 2005, at 4:35 AM, John Pierce wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Adrian,
>>>
>>> On 7/26/05, Adrian Lienhard <adi at netstyle.ch> wrote: Another
>>> thing that stroke me is peed... In 3.8 with the enhancement
>>> everything seems to be a bit slower than before (the UI in Squeak
>>> never was fast but I have the feeling it become slower with each new
>>> release...).
>>>
>>> To get some numbers (they should probably be treated with care..) I
>>> evaluated "[ 10 timesRepeat: [ Browser openBrowser ] ] timeToRun"
>>> and
>>> got:
>>>
>>> 3.7 without LookEnhancement:  9674
>>> 3.7 with LookEnhancement: 12060