StandardFileStream>>truncate:

Chris Muller chris at funkyobjects.org
Fri Jun 3 18:18:12 UTC 2005

Here's something to make you scratch your head.  When would the #size of
aStandardFileStream ever change merely by closing and then opening the file?

	myFileStream size  "3300"

	myFileStream close; open

	myFileStream size  "50"

Ok, don't scratch; I've already done that.  The answer is when you #truncate:
to 50 the file, it is not reflected by #size until the file is closed and
reopened.

It's #position does recognize the truncation however, if it was beyond the
truncation point of the now-shorter file, it reflects position at the end of
the file.  This is my first time exploring truncate: so I don't now whether
this is a bug.  But I've opened it on Mantis just in case.

It does appear to actually shorten the file and release the space back to the
OS; is this platform-independent?