Teach non CS major introductory course using Squeak

Gary Fisher gafisher at sprynet.com
Tue Jun 7 10:00:47 UTC 2005

Ralph;

There's a lot of beauty in what you're proposing.

First, Squeak is much more than "just" a programming language, it's a
general-purpose simulation system.  While CS majors might build a career
around programming a DBMS or an accounting system, your target students may
need something to visualize cell growth, disease distribution, deforestation
rates, sales opportunities, or any of myriad other unknown and unpredictable
phenomena.  While most traditional programming languages can be utilized to
build the tools your students might need, Squeak can both build and be those
tools; a general familiarity with Squeak can offer non-CS majors
capabilities for which advanced training would be required with most other
languages.

Second, Squeak is designed from the ground up to be instantly practical;
while capable of exceptionally sophisticated processing, it is not necessary
to master a number of arcane concepts and rules before putting Squeak to
work -- elementary-level students have used it within hours (or less) of
being introduced to it.  I'd strongly suggest getting a copy of "Squeakers"
(http://www.squeakersfilm.org/) just for the sheer pleasure of seeing the
light of understanding popping on like flashbulbs in the eyes of Squeak
"newbies."  However, the film also presents details useful to any educator
and attractive to potential users at virtually any level.

Third, on a purely practical note, Squeak is cross-platform and free;
students won't have to pay for their copies, can grab a copy for every
computer they own or work with, and can instantly get a new copy from any
internet-connected computer if their own is unavailable at some point in
their careers.  And because the Squeak image ("data," loosely speaking) is
bit-identical on all platforms, they can move their work from Mac to PC to
Linux to handheld to whatever turns up tomorrow with ease.

There are many more reasons why Squeak is a good choice for non-CS students
but I think those I've given are sufficient to justify its use.

Gary Fisher