status of 64bit squeak

Martin Kuball martinkuball at web.de
Sat Jun 11 13:24:49 UTC 2005

Am Thursday, 9. June 2005 00:53 schrieb Tim Rowledge:
> Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> > The latest info is here:
> >
> > 	http://squeak.hpl.hp.com/squeak64/
>
> Considering the enormous amount of work we've done on it since last
> october I think it is probably time for some updating of that page.
> VMMaker is up to version .36 for example, a far cry from .14 .
> Obviously the first part of an update would be to check that we
> haven't broken anything since then...
>

> tim
> --
> Tim Rowledge, tim at rowledge.org, http://www.rowledge.org/tim
> Strange OpCodes: MBR: Move Bits Randomly

I was able to build a vm from src64 and run the 64bit image from the
aforementioned site (Squeak64-3.8g-6548). There is 1 problem, though:
right after the start squeak consumes about 50% of the cpu. Starting
a ProcessBrowser does not reveal much:
	(80)	3400: the timer interrupt watcher
	(60)	2706: the vent tickler
	(60)	1082: the user interrupt watcher
	(60)	2861: the low space watcher
	(50)	 602: the WeakArray finalization process
	(40)	1849: the UI process
	(40)	 643: my auto-update process
	(10)	3522: the idle process
I have not idea where and what to look for.

And I have a question. Is it right, that a vm build with src=src32 is
a 64 bit programm (like with src64) that runs "old" 32 bit images?

Martin