About package and test numbering

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Jun 12 22:20:41 UTC 2005

>> PA1             PAT1
>> PA1.2           PAT1 "nothing changes in the tests
>> PA2             PAT1 "nothing
>> PA3
>> PA4             PAT4 "tests changes to cover version 4"
>> PA4             PAT4.1 "fixed tests alone
>> PA5             PAT4.1
>> PA6             PAT4.1
>> PA7             PAT7  "tests changed and are in sync with package7
>>

> If you look for tests for PA3, how do you know that PAT1 is the
> right version.  It seems likely that PA1 might have been changed
> (twice) and that the developers simply forgot to update the tests.

the point is that with this model you always know the latest version
of the test associated with a package
but nothing tell you that the programmer forget something. Still if I
want to run the latest test that should be green
for PA3 package I have to load PAT1.

> uestion of what tests are intended for a particular version of a
> package is, or should be, the same as the question of what type
> (functional behavior) the package is supposed to implement.  While
> we don't need a static type system in the Smalltalk language, we
> already have a behavioral testing system in the Smalltalk
> development environment.  We can make do with informal naming and
> version numbering conventions to express the relationship between
> package and tests, or we could assert that package tests define
> (albeit informally and incompletely)  the types in a package and
> require that a package declare its type by including a reference to
> the correct test version (test package name and major version number).

Note that in Store I did not want to change anything of the package
model and I did not want to have to have bundle
per package so we followed this convention which was not perfect. And
I also learn that if you rely on people to enter a correct information
then this does not work. So of course I could have hack VW to add the
test version package in the comment of the test.

Stef