HTTPSocket, Cookies and HTTPS?

Andrew Greenberg werdna at mucow.com
Mon Jun 13 17:02:16 UTC 2005

I am thinking about working up some screen-scraping code in Squeak,
and have been reviewing the HTTP functionality of the core image.
For my purposes, I'll be needing to do some detailed HTTPs
transactions, cookie retreival and maintenance, and so forth.
HTTPSocket doesn't seem to do the deed as transparently as I would like.

I was inclined to rewrite the code in Smalltalk, and it occurred to
me that so much of this has already been done in Curl, that it may
make much more sense to build a plugin to the three or so simple
calls necessary to do synchronous data requests.  Accordingly, I'm
more inclined to write the plugin, and wrap it in a pretty package
for general use.

Has anybody trodden down this road before?  Any thoughts about the
benefits/utility/downsides of building the libcurl plugin?