komhttpserver in 3.8

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Mon Jun 13 23:38:38 UTC 2005

I was using the KomHTTPServer from the Seaside2.5 image, which is based
on Squeak 3.8. Which text files were being downloaded just fine, binary
ones were crawling at 500 bytes per second or less and were also being
damaged on the way. Thinking that the two problems might be independent
of each other I first got Göran's FastSocketStreams but that didn't seem
to make a difference. My next step was to patch ModFile>>processHttp to
open files using the StandardFileStream instead of the default one
(which has changed in 3.8) since that had done the trick for Celeste.
The result is that everything is now perfect and really fast - I didn't
try it without FastSocketStreams to see if that would make a difference.

To me, the odd thing is that this seems not to have been a problem for
anyone else.

Now I have patched Seaside to be able to work from the root and am
adding a ModLang to Comanche so that multilingual sites will be easier
to create. I will be very proud to include the "Powered by Smalltalk"
logo in the next version of my web site.

-- Jecel