Debian rejects APSL?

Samir Saidani saidani at info.unicaen.fr
Wed Jun 15 14:24:37 UTC 2005

"Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> writes:

> This strategy of reducing the number of licenses is interesting, but it
> seems better to phrase it as making a few good licenses very popular
> instead of reducing the number of licenses around.  For starters,
> reducing the number of licenses is impractical past a certain point.
> There is already a vast amount of GPL code and BSD code (and Mozilla
> code and Artistic License code and ...), and that code is never going to
> disappear.  Further, there will always be indivual programmers that want
> to do their own thing.

A lot of licences is complexity. Reducing the number of licences is
the research of simplicity. No licence is simplicity. What should be
interesting is to discover which kind of psychological mechanisms
demands rights, copyrights, protection, and so one, and to go beyond
that... It's relatively easy to see when there is eyes to see that
there is a fantastic dissipation of energy among our world : this is
both comic and tragic.

Cheers,
Samir