[TEAM] ToolBuilder Update

Brian Brown rbb at techgame.net
Fri Jun 17 17:57:38 UTC 2005

On Jun 17, 2005, at 12:45 AM, goran at krampe.se wrote:

> http://swiki.krampe.se/castaways/5  (search down to "ToolBuilder")
>

> Great job!
>
> I am interested in hearing more about how this integration ideally
> should be done. Remember - we don't want to just add stuff to the
> image
> - we need to try to think as much as possible in "packages" here.

This certainly bears discussion :-)

We have a simple API that abstracts the gui toolkit currently in use
(Morphic, Tweak, etc)  from the Tools being rendered (Monticello
brower, Omni Browser, Squeak Map).

So do we make ToolBuilder a package, and have all the core tools
check to see if the package is loaded, use it if it exists, and
default to Morphic if it doesn't?

Our change sets already make modifications to those tools, changing
them to use ToolBuilder, so then the ToolBuilder maintainer would
need to track the core Tools and keep changes up to date as those
tools evolve.

This scenario doesn't seem ideal to me, but I could be missing
something. If ToolBuilder (which is quite small) was part of the
image, then it becomes the defacto API for dealing with prompts,
dialogs, menus, etc.

Of course, if all the core tools are packages that depend on the
ToolBuilder package, then the problem goes away...

:-)

thoughts?

Brian