Raw graphics performance

Aran Lunzer aran at meme.hokudai.ac.jp
Tue Jun 21 14:46:09 UTC 2005

Sorry - a few more details that I should have included...

Image
 Squeak3.7 latest update: #5989

Desktop size
 1268 at 927  (just what it happened to be)

OS
 Windows XP Pro SP2, fully updated, in all cases

Some VM settings
 DeferUpdate=1
 ReduceCPUUsage=1
 ReduceCPUInBackground=0
 PriorityBoost=1

> I *guess* that the display chip is the largest variable here, after
> all it needs to do all the actual copying of data.

Yup, presumably.  But I was surprised at the broad disparity.  Another
candidate that I tried (a new Panasonic laptop, that I don't have access
to at the moment) seemed to be taking nearly ten times as long as the
Toshiba!

Maybe the answer is something like "Oh, nobody runs the Panasonic with the
default device driver; you need to download the latest from ...".  But I
wanted to check with the list in case this was a known phenomenon in
porting Squeak.

All the best

Aran