generated 64 bit image does not work

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Jun 22 22:08:06 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 11:12:54PM +0200, Martin Kuball wrote:
> Am Wednesday, 22. June 2005 14:26 schrieb David T. Lewis:
> > On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 02:20:38PM +0200, Martin Kuball wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I tried the SystemTracer64 to convert one of my images to 64 bit
> > > format. Whe I tried to start it with a 64 bit VM I got the
> > > following message:
> > >
> > > This interpreter (vers. 68000) cannot read image file (vers.
> > > 292057776128000).
> >
> > Apparently the SystemTracer works only on big-endian platforms
> > such as Mac, but not little-endian platforms (Intel). I'm not
> > sure what is required to make it architecture neutral (definitely
> > the #writeFileHeader needs to change, but maybe some other things
> > also).
>
> But the resulting image file is architecture independent, no?
>
> Martin

Yes, the image file is architecture independent. At the moment, the
SystemTracer is not working correctly with it runs on little-endian
platforms, and the image files that it produces are broken if the
SystemTracer is run on a little-endian box. I seem to recall reading
that this is a known shortcoming, but I don't recall where I read
this or if anyone is working on it.

I've tried changing #writeFileHeader to produce architecture-neutral
image file headers. This was the part that was obviously broken, but
I have not been able to produce a working image, so presumably there
are some other issues to address, or maybe I just "fixed" it wrong.

Anyway, that's all I know about the issue, so if anyone else has
gotten the SystemTracer working on an Intel box, please speak up.

Dave