Squeak eating up CPU cycle

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Jun 28 10:37:00 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 10:46:51AM +0200, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Under Linux, I have two running Squeak instances with Superswiki and
> Smallwiki, however these ones eat all the CPU cycles of my server.
> Sadly this badly affect other runnung services.
>
> Does any of you know how to limit the CPU use?

Run the Squeak instances at lower priority, e.g.

  $ nice squeak myserver.image&

Or this, which also drops the priority:

  $ nohup squeak myserver.image&

This will reduce the cpu hogging, and will have little or no
negative impact on the perceived Squeak performance.

If you need to change the priority of a Squeak server that is
already running, use the "renice" command.

But of course something else may be wrong if your Squeak servers
are gobbling up 100% of the cpu.

Dave