[BUG] VMMaker/M17N/OSProcess issue

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Jun 28 23:37:28 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 01:07:06AM +0300, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
> [current state of OSPP/VMM]
> I thought I'd mention that after fixing that small thing, and reading
> some documentation, I did manage to build OSPP, and then run OSP, to the
> extent that GraphViz works, so I'm pretty satisfied. CommandShell also
> works pretty nicely.
>
>  From the 121 (!) UnixProcess* tests, 66 pass, 10 fail, 45 errors. Many
> of the errors give me an annoying OK box, saying that the process access
> module is not available (which I would prefer to have appear only
> when/if I investigate the bug).

Hmmm, that's not quite where I would like to be. If you have a chance,
would you mind running "OSProcess allTestResults" and mailing me a copy
of the resulting OSProcessTestResults-<platform>.txt file? I'm looking
to get zero errors and failures on a generic [Li|U]nux box, and some
indeterminate number of problems on an OS X box with Unix VM.

> I am using the Debian packaged Squeak, which seems to be version 3.8a-1
> (don't know from who). When compiling the sources, I got Ian's code
> (latest tar ball, not SVN), in which I didn't actually find the
> UnixProcess plugin. Are you sure its there?
>
> I think OSProcess is great, and I think it should be available out of
> the box or very close to it. Not that I have really good ideas how to
> achieve that, just a wish.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Nowadays, Ian packages OSPP with all of his binary distributions, so
it's just a matter of loading OSProcess and CommandShell from SqueakMap.
That seems reasonably "out of the box" for a package that is still
quite platform dependent. I'm not sure about the Debian packages.
I think that Lex puts these together (?) but I don't know what is
included.

As far as the sources go, you need to load VMM, XDisplayControlPlugin,
and OSPP from SqueakMap separately. But that's just because I'm still
maintaining OSPP and XDisplayControlPlugin separately from VMM. It would
be easy enough to move them over to VMM some time after I get run over
by a truck, or if Tim happens to be looking for more aggrivation than
he already has with the rest of the plugins.

[hmmm, come to think of it, I'll bet that you did not build an
XDisplayControlPlugin, and that's probably where those SUnit errors
are coming from]

Dave