[BUG] VMMaker/M17N/OSProcess issue

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Jun 29 11:36:22 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 02:06:33PM +0300, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
> Some funny things and questions:
> 1. I've now managed to build XDCP, put it in the plugin directory. Test
> still fail. Stop Squeak and restart, tests pass. Aren't plugins supposed
> to be loaded on demand? why did I have to stop and restart?

I'm not certain, but I believe that if the lookup fails once, it will
continue to fail. This would be for performance reasons; you would not
want do time consuming dynamic library lookups every time you call a
primitive when you already know that the plugin does not exit.

> 2. Now I get 100 tests, all green. Before I got 121, 66 green. So I
> suspect before I ran some extraneous tests. How many tests should be run
> for the UnixProcess*TestCase? I get 102 green, when I run add
> OSPipeTestCase. That's everything under Tests-OSProcess. Is there any
> other test I should run?

I'm away from my Squeak box now, so I can't check. Have a look at the
OSProcess and CommandShell change sets that you loaded. I think there
is a total of seven SUnit classes. OSProcess class>>allTestResults
runs some or all of them, I don't quite recall.

> 3. XDCP code is under yet another class category, VMConstruction.
> 4. I wanted to build only new external plugins (to add to an existing
> VM). So in VMMaker, I said, "generate external plugins". When I ran
> configure, I got an error that the file plugin.int is missing. This was
> corrected when in VMM, I generated everything, and tried again. Why is
> this needed?

OSPP should be in the same category as XDCP, but I mistakenly moved
it to VMMaker-* in the most recent release. This was a botch on my
part.

I think that you do need to "generate all" if you add or remove
plugins in VMMaker. There are some source files generated that
specify what plugins are internal and external, most likely VMM
does this only when you generate all the sources.

Dave