[REPORT] Report 1 from castaways (that name sucks...)

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Fri Mar 4 12:44:58 UTC 2005

Hi Stephane!

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?st=E9phane_ducasse?= <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> Hi goran
>
> How do you see the process when people working in one task will clean
> ugly dependency
> for example on UI in compiler or other dark places such as
> systemDictionary.
> because we may end up having a lot of conflicting refactoring or boring
> to merge after the fact.
> We did that when KCP items where in the queue and this what not cool so
> we simply slowed down
> to avoid too much mess.

Instinctively this sounds like an issue for the v3.9 team (Doug leading)
to figure out.

Of the active Teams only ToolBuilder and Packages (AFAICT) will deliver
results for the 3.9 stream. The MorphicSplitter team intends to work
outside of the update stream (tracking it) and the Modules will also
work outside.

ToolBuilder team will do lots of touching I presume, but for starters
they will essentially add stuff, not change. Packages will do changes,
but not that much in the core I think.

So both ToolBuilder and Packages should coordinate with the 3.9 team.

> For example, I would really like that 3.9 offer a solution for
> SystemDictionary/SmalltalkImage/..
> I described what would be the best compromise so that after 3.9
> everybody is happy but this can
> be a long task and I imagine that some other tasks are of the same
> level so what is the process?

As I said, not sure. :) Personally I think we should start with
partitioning (Avi is leader so this is just my personal thoughts) before
we go forward with further refactorings etc.

That would mean that for example you guys could start doing that work
with the "kernel" staked out and assigned to you for Stewarding. Which
should make decisions easier to make.

> Stef

regards, Göran