Squeak slow (82% cpu in weak array finalization)

Adrian Lienhard adi at netstyle.ch
Fri Mar 4 14:27:50 UTC 2005

Hi Frank

We had the same problem for a Seaside application with quite some load.
The problem ist that with the amount of data that Seaside caches the
finalization process just takes too much time to walk over all the
objects.

There is a simple solution, with tradeoff between space and cpu: In
SeasidePlatformSupport class>>weakDictionaryOfSize: remove the
registration of the Dictionary by commenting out the line "WeakArray
addWeakDependent: dict."

The image we use grows up to about 200MB max which is totally ok.

Hope this helps,
Adrian