[GOODIE] Some code and advice to find a problem with pre-3.7 code

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 16:56:14 UTC 2005

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 16:24:06 +0100, goran.krampe at bluefish.se
<goran.krampe at bluefish.se> wrote:
> This little 'goodie' is a hack for helping people detect a change in the
> Compiler that Avi (cough) introduced back in 3.7 (don't have the update
> number handy)

Hm (cough), "introduced"?  I'm not sure I can be held responsible for
every ENH that I post to the list that ends up making it into the
image... wasn't that sort of the point of the Harvesting process?  Or
were the guides simply taking authority over the update stream, not
responsibility or accountability? ;)

I'm teasing you, as you were teasing me, but there's something deeper
here that we need to be careful of: if we put the full responsibility
on the person posting the fix, rather than on the person(s) accepting
the fix, then there's a strong disincentive for people to contribute.
I'd really like everyone to feel comfortable posting speculative
changesets, even for areas in which they're clueless newbies - and
when it comes to Compiler and FFI, I don't mind applying that
description to myself.

That said, I do feel bad that my little proposal ended up causing so
much grief, and my deep thanks go out to you and Andreas and anyone
else who put in time to clean up the mess.

Cheers,
Avi