"Delay class >> shutdown" anyone?

Boris Gaertner Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net
Fri Mar 4 19:04:56 UTC 2005

From: "Markus Gaelli" <gaelli at emergent.de>

> Hi folks,
>
> first: Don't try it at home. Not in your valuable image at least...
Thank you for that warning. The first thing I did to look at
this problem was to make a copy of one of my Squeaks (3.7)

> I just stumbled over this funny method, it really does what it says,
> Squeak is not reacting anymore,
> it is also uninterruptible by the usual keyboard combinations
> apple/whatever .
The following quick test did not freeze my image: ( I tried it
both in MVC and in Morphic)

1. Evaluate this with an open workspace in a workspace:
 Delay forSeconds: 600.
 Transcript show: 'Hello'; cr.

You see the 'hello' immediately.

2. Quti Squeak with "save and quit"
3. Start Squeak again.

There is evan a more beautiful test. I copied it in
Delay class>>testDelayFor: of: rect:

1. Evaluate this in a workspace.
Delay testDelayOf: 100 for: 50 rect: (10 at 10 extent: 30 at 30).
Delay testDelayOf: 400 for: 100 rect: (50 at 10 extent: 30 at 30).

2. save and quit your Squeak.
3. Start Squeak again.

I do not see problems.

> So on the one hand it is working perfectly, on the other hand I could
> not find any users in 3.7 final...

There is a user. It is the method
SystemDictionary>>processShutDownList:
The shutdown list itself is a class variable in SystemDictionary.
Inspect the class variables ShutDownList and
StartUpList to see that class Delay is registered in
both lists.

> Can I fill a bug report?
I do not fully understand the problem. It would be good to
have a more detailled problem discription first.

> Cheers,

Boris