[REPORT] Report 1 from castaways (that name sucks...)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Mar 5 04:38:03 UTC 2005

Frank Caggiano <frankcag at crystal-objects.com> wrote:
> > Without a decent bug tracker, we can't do a great job of releasing
> > stable sets of packages.
>
> The Category pulldown can have whatever strings the Mantis manager
> wants to place there.
[...]
> So a bug report can be entered that has any one of these as its
> category.  You can also filter the bug reports by category.

One thing that would be great from our bug tracker, is if there were a
way to tell which packages have open bugs of high severity.  We could
use this as the main criterion for going into a stable release: packages
don't go into a stable release, until at *least* all of their high
severity bugs are fixed.  With a good bug tracker, this information can
be at the release managers' fingertips.

With the current setup, that is not the case -- there are many fewer
Mantis categories than active packages (the stable 3.7 universe has over
200 packages, IIRC, which might be one approximation of the active
packages).  Thus, the release manager would have to slog through all
open bugs and read the descriptions, in order to find out what packages
are having problems.

-Lex