UI blocked while loading code?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Mar 5 05:27:37 UTC 2005

Cees de Groot <cg at cdegroot.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 10:52:52 -0800, Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu>
> wrote:
>
> > One could certainly make update loading occur in another thread (easily)
> > but how would we make it safe? Can't think of a quick answer right now.
> >
> Stephen's transaction code (Kats, wasn't it?)? Or at least we might want
> to split up the loading and installing parts; load in the background, then
> pop up a window "click here to install" that freezes the UI for safety's
> sake.

You can also speed things up somewhat by pipelining the downloading and
installing:

	[enh] faster updates
	http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2000-June/004515
.html

The changeset in that post, would make updates process in parallel to
downloading of updates; otherwise, the image alternates back and forth
between downloading and installing.  With most connections, you'd end up

I don't know if the above would still work in current Squeak.  It's from
five years ago; when was the last time the update code was touched?

Lex