[REPORT] Report 1 from castaways (that name sucks...)

Frank Caggiano frankcag at crystal-objects.com
Sat Mar 5 15:10:00 UTC 2005

On Mar 4, 2005, at 23:38, Lex Spoon wrote:

> One thing that would be great from our bug tracker, is if there were a
> way to tell which packages have open bugs of high severity.  We could
> use this as the main criterion for going into a stable release:
> packages
> don't go into a stable release, until at *least* all of their high
> severity bugs are fixed.  With a good bug tracker, this information can
> be at the release managers' fingertips.
>
> With the current setup, that is not the case -- there are many fewer
> Mantis categories than active packages (the stable 3.7 universe has
> over
> 200 packages, IIRC, which might be one approximation of the active
> packages).  Thus, the release manager would have to slog through all
> open bugs and read the descriptions, in order to find out what packages
> are having problems.

Its important to remember the current Mantis setup probably isn't
optimal for how we are looking at using it now. My understanding is
that the Janitors Task 0 is meant to address this very issue.

The major problem with the current set-up is the two Squeak projects,
Squeak and Squeak Packages.  My understanding and recollection of when
Mantis was first proposed to the community is it was already being used
for Tweak and possibly OpenCroquet and Squeakland.  It was presented
more as an experiment as something to try to either compliment or
replace BFAV.  Some bugs went into both systems some into one or the
other.  Categories were added to the Squeak project as bugs against
different parts of the system were placed into Mantis (thats how the
IRC category got in, I asked the maintainers to create it when an IRC
bug was put into Mantis and I had trouble locating it)

At some point a separate Squeak Packages project was created. Now I
can't see the logic in IRC being in the project Squeak but BFAV is in
the project Squeak Packages. I may be missing (wouldn't be the fist
time :-) )

The mapping of Mantis projects and categories to Squeaks components
will be the most important task the Janitors will have in my opinion.
If if this is done right Mantis (or whatever package winds up being
used) will be a great help; if the mapping is done wrong ie. not
reflective of the true way we work, it will be a millstone.

I believe Mantis does address the issue you bring up Lex, though
perhaps not in an optimal way.

 From the main Mantis screen select all projects from the project
pulldown.
Select view issues
click on severity in the top filter box. (Actually it doesn't matter
which filter you select the next screen is the same for all)
Now select the filters you want to apply, say bugs mark as major
(severity->major) and open (resolution->open) and apply the filter.

If I do this now I get 23 bug reports listed. One of the problems with
the current setup is because I selected all projects I see bugs against
OpenCroquet and Tweak. Maybe this indicates we want a separate Mantis
setup just for Squeak. Or else maybe we just want one Squeak project
(right now there is Squeak and Squeak Packages) and use the categories
for the projects or packages in squeak.

regards
Frank Caggiano
frankcag at crystal-objects dot com
http://www.crystal-objects.com

The best education for the best is the best education for all.
					Robert Maynard Hutchins