BOM puts a BOMB under filein (Re: [REPORT] Report 2, just a quick one)

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at squeakland.org
Sat Mar 5 20:20:51 UTC 2005

  Hello,

> > PS. Anyone wondering over those three funny little chars at the
> > beginning of a ChangeSet fileout in 3.9? He he, it is a BOM (Byte Order
> > Marker, read about UTF8).
> Glad you found out. This crashes and burns any attempt to file-in 3.9
> file-outs into earlier versions. I assume someone who knows about UTF8
> will patch this thing away?

FileStream class>>writeSourceCodeFrom:baseName:isSt:useHtml:

is messier than it should be.  At one time,
#defaultFileOutFormatMacRoman preferences had some effect, but it is
not the case anymore.

  Probably, what we should do is to get the preference back to be in
effect, but otherwise it should always use UTF-8.

-- Yoshiki