[MacOs X]Only one image per VM

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Mar 8 08:00:53 UTC 2005

Just to clarify, one VM process can only read one image at  a time
because *lots* of globals in the VM support files prevent you from
having a single VM run multiple images at the same time. From a
resource consumption viewpoint lots of memory is required by an Image,
less is required by
the VM to run the image. So there is little gain in wanting to share
the non-writable execution code VM between images. Also wanting to run
images with one VM file on disk only saves you 2MB or so of diskspace
per image, but disk space is cheap....

On Mar 7, 2005, at 11:16 PM, Noury Bouraqadi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On MacOs X, I can only start a single image with a VM. To start more,
> I need to copy the VM which is heavy.
> I've been told that there is a kind of script to solve this problem.
> Does any one  got it? Other solutions?
>
> Thanx
> Noury
> Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
> Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. G.I.P
> http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury
>
> European Smalltalk Users Group Board
> http://www.esug.org