[GOODIE] MacOSXGraphVizGenerator-dd

John Pierce john.raymond.pierce at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 12:46:40 UTC 2005

> Very thanks for this port to Mac and a final question
>
> Exist any way of what GraphViz returns a list of coordinates and small
> images for Squeak could later manipulate the resultanting morphs ?

So, it looks like the Mac port is an aweful lot like my original Win32
interface to GraphViz ;-).  While I don't care much about the clone
(and, in fact, I really like the notion that other platforms in Squeak
are accessible to GraphViz), if this goodie is coordinated with me and
rolled back into my package then everyone could pick up some new
optimizations I'm working on for base GraphViz package.  What are
those? Well...

1st, I don't have a Mac so I'd need someone to help me make the system
"multi-platform", but in my latest edition of GraphViz, I think I have
a way to substituable in an instance of a platform-specific generator
class, but I'd need help writing and testing the Mac generator (any
takers?).

2nd, I have a new edition that I am changing my implementation
strategy all-together so as to keep the "graph model" as real objects
so I can send the graph out to GraphViz for node and edge placement,
then get the coordinates put back into the graph model for folks to
use in Squeak (e.g. build a connectors diagram or whatever).

This is 9/10ths of the way there right now as I just got the
coordinates back from GraphViz as XML and now I must shred the
document to store the coordinates back with the graph nodes and edges.
 Should be a weekend exercise.  I have many intentions to build a
Visio diagram from this information as I've already tested my ability
to automate Visio 2003 with the Squeak/.NET bridge (and it works).

Anways -- that's where I am at with it if anyone wants to help assist
me in setting up a Mac or Unix generator I'd welcome the help.

Regards,

John