As of today, What does "3.9" mean?

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at squeakland.org
Thu Mar 10 04:50:03 UTC 2005

  Hello,

  Lex posted this bug report:

http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=942

And it seems that there is something like "a fresh 3.9, updated to
patch 6599."  So... What is it anyway?  Updated from one of these in
ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak/3.9/?

  Appearently, one thing that works in 3.8 gamma 6599 doesn't quite
work in that version (maybe it is not too big difference, I hope).
Also, in squeak-package, squeak-modules, and other mailing lists,
there are many discussions about major changes toward 3.9.

  So, here is my question: are people going to start the "3.9 work"
from the coming 3.8 release, which I think I did my part, or from one
of these versions?

  Toward 3.9, many things will break (hopefully for a limited time).
But I don't think it is a good idea to start from something already
known to be unstable.

  For that matter, does anybody think it is a good idea to have a
version something like 3.8.1, in which we only fix the bugs, but don't
add new features?  The way we make new release (not only 3.8 but most
of former versions) has been that we add many last minute changes
toward new release, and not quite put much effort to stabilize things.
And people tend not to jump to a beta or gamma version.  "A release,
and a bug fix release" is a way to overcome this problem.  (Nihongo6
had some rough edges. We released Nihongo6.1 to fix the problems and
it worked very well.)

  It is too late to advocate this idea, but we could name such thing
3.9 and all the "major" changes can go into new major version.  (And,
in this case, we should keep both version "alive".)

-- Yoshiki