The Squeak MUD

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Thu Mar 10 08:22:17 UTC 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 07:00:01 +0100, karl <karl.ramberg at chello.se> wrote:

> There is a  collaborative space implemation called Nebraska in Squeak.

Accursed rot. I found the implementation and managed to get it installed.
It installs under 3.7 but it won't initialize. I found this startup code:

| server |
server := NebraskaServer new.
server startListeningOnPort: 9091.
(NebraskaServerMorph new server: server) openInWorld.

I tracked down the error from new, to initialize, to this code:

self extent: 800 at 600 depth:16

Then to extent:

world extent: newExtent.

"world" isn't initialized anywhere, hence the error message. And I have no
freakin' idea where to look for it. I thought I might be able to track it
down by looking for implementors of newExtent but when I pull up a menu, I
don't get the option of looking for newExtent. (One thing about statically
typed languages: there wouldn't just a local variable called "world". It
would be "world: WorldClass" and I could go look at WorldClass.)

> But I don't know how well that would scale if you got massive numbers of
> users...

Not an immediate concern.

> There is a a project called NetMorph, I'm not sure what technology that
> uses.

I'll try that out next.

> Your best bet is on TeaTime in Croquet, but that is still under
> development.

I'd like to give my users something relatively easy to play with
relatively soon.

Of course, looking at either of these, I can't tell if an actual Squeak
installation is needed, or if the Squeak plug-in would do.