The Squeak MUD

Peter Crowther Peter at ozzard.org
Thu Mar 10 19:56:28 UTC 2005

> From: [...] Blake
> Sent: 09 March 2005 10:17

Sorry for the delayed response - life has been... Interesting.

> I've been looking at using Squeak for MUD/MOO/MUSH purposes.

This was my original reason for examining Squeak.  I'll drop in a few
comments below, and see what comes back :-).

> Now, it seems to me that there are three (at least) components needed:
>
> 1. A collaborative space (some way for clients to share the common
> experience and communicate with each other, as well as affect
> the space).

1a. The server component of this.

1b. The client component of this.  This has some important consequences,
especially if a user needs some custom client in order to connect.

1c. The protocol used between client and server, and whether any
communication is provided between client and client.  This has other
important consequences, especially if it needs mods to firewalls,
secondary ports opening, standard client ports, incoming connections, or
other nasties.

> 2. A game framework/ruleset/etc. (This could be broken down a
> bunch of ways.)

2a. A way of writing the game framework.

2b. One or more game frameworks and rulesets.

2c. (Assuming user extensibility, my main interest) A way of preventing
user-created frameworks and rulesets from interfering with one another,
accidentally or deliberately, unless such interference is desired.

> 3. Content.

3a. Users or admins with sufficient skills to create the content.  The
more complex the content, the more skilled these people need to be.

3b. Tools to create the content.  The more complex the content, the more
complex these tools need to be.

4. Users.

> What I'm interested in NOT doing myself is #1. If nothing
> else, it seems
> like Croquet ought to fill that need. Or whatever Croquet is based on.
>
> Anyone have thoughts on this?

What collaborative space do you want?  At one end of the scale, I've got
a multi-user telnet server for a Squeak image...

		- Peter