As of today, What does "3.9" mean?

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Fri Mar 11 05:00:33 UTC 2005

On Thursday, March 10, 2005, at 03:25 AM, goran.krampe at bluefish.se
wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Yoshiki Ohshima <yoshiki at squeakland.org> wrote:
>>   Hello,
>>
>>   Lex posted this bug report:
>>
>> http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=942
>>
>> And it seems that there is something like "a fresh 3.9, updated to
>> patch 6599."  So... What is it anyway?  Updated from one of these in
>> ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak/3.9/?
>>
>>   Appearently, one thing that works in 3.8 gamma 6599 doesn't quite
>> work in that version (maybe it is not too big difference, I hope).
>
> Eh... well, I use:
> ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak/3.9/Squeak3.9a-6548.zip
>
> and then update that from the public stream. That ends me up at 6599. I
> am not terribly sure what 3.9 has compared to current 3.8, but I was
> under the impression that it mainly has Diego's UI stuff.

Yep, the Diego UI changes should be the only major difference between
the latest 3.9a and 3.8g.

It's not too unusual to have some serious bugs early on during an alpha
cycle.

>> Also, in squeak-package, squeak-modules, and other mailing lists,
>> there are many discussions about major changes toward 3.9.
>
> Some clarifications:
> 	- The Modules Team is most certainly not producing anything for 3.9,
> possibly for 4.0 (following 3.9).
> 	- The Packages Team on the other hand is focused on making its work be
> one of the important parts of 3.9.
>  	- And Doug has just formed a v3.9 Team that he is leading, so
> specific
> questions about that release should be answered by Doug.
>
> 	See: http://discuss.squeakfoundation.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?13

Yes, feel free to join the discussion.  Although I will put the latest
proposed content on the swiki shortly, which may be an easier way for
people to get a rough idea of what's going on.

> 3.8.x (x being upped by 1 for every fix I think, not sure)

Yep, although we haven't figured out how the .x would be upped.  I'd
guess we might do it once for each small group of simultaneous fixes.
(Although there really shouldn't be that many post-release fixes, and
they should be non-invasive fixes, generally non-API changing, etc.)

- Doug