Automatic Startup

Jason Rogers jacaetevha at fast-mail.org
Fri Mar 11 19:21:35 UTC 2005

Alexander Lazarević wrote:

>If you install a VNC[1][2] server on your Linux
>machine you can have squeak running headfull (with a display), but the
>display will only be visible using a VNC client (eg. on another
>machine). So you can attach/detach a display to squeak whenever you
>want.

I am curious about these statements.  I would like to understand fully
what you mean.  Do you mean to start Squeak on a display other than 0:0
(in which case you would have to have the VNC server started first)?  If
so, I understand how to do this.  However, if you mean that you can
start Squeak headfull on the default display and then willy-nilly
connect to it in Linux I am perplexed how you would accomplish this.  As
far as I understand VNC servers in Linux (which is little) you cannot
set up a server to share the default display.  If on the other hand you
mean that you can tell a running Squeak image to switch its display to
some other display I am even more lost.  How would that be accomplished
in Linux?  I am not picking at your statement here.  I truly am curious
about how to accomplish this.

Thanks.

--
Jason Rogers

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I,
but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in
the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved
me, and gave himself for me."
    Galatians 2:20