Automatic Startup

Alexander Lazarević Alexander at lazarevic.de
Fri Mar 11 20:38:28 UTC 2005

Ned Konz schrieb:
> Another way to do this is to connect to a *remote* X server on demand.
>
> You can use the OSProcess plugin to switch between headed and headless mode
> using the X display plugin.

Some disadvantages I see with this solution are:
- you have to have a running X server on the remote machine. There are X
servers for windows, but it is much easier to install the small TightVNC
client on those machines
- if the X server gets killed I _assume_ the client (squeak) dies with a
"connection with X server lost" fatal error (I don't know if the X
display plugin catches this error). This does not happen if you use VNC
and kill the VNC client
- you have to tell squeak where to find the X server. If your remote
machine gets its address via DHCP you might need to change this
everytime. With VNC you just connect to VNC server or squeak.

> Of course, then you have to have at least the X
> client libraries on the local machine, but you don't have to be
> running a server.

I found RFB to be a very good alternative.

Alex