Automatic Startup

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Mar 11 21:43:13 UTC 2005

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 09:38:28PM +0100, Alexander Lazareviæ wrote:
> Ned Konz schrieb:
> > Another way to do this is to connect to a *remote* X server on demand.
> >
> > You can use the OSProcess plugin to switch between headed and headless mode
> > using the X display plugin.
>
> Some disadvantages I see with this solution are:
> - you have to have a running X server on the remote machine. There are X
> servers for windows, but it is much easier to install the small TightVNC
> client on those machines
> - if the X server gets killed I _assume_ the client (squeak) dies with a
> "connection with X server lost" fatal error (I don't know if the X
> display plugin catches this error). This does not happen if you use VNC
> and kill the VNC client

You are correct, the XDisplayControlPlugin does not handle any errors
in the X session. In addition to the possibility of a "connection with
X server lost" error, I think that it is possible to cause a fatal error
by connecting to an X server with a different display depth.  So I agree,
this would not be a robust solution for a web application, and it would
be better to use the VNC approach.

Dave