Running Squeak on a run only fileing system

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sun Mar 13 07:46:01 UTC 2005

Under preferences you can turn off warn if no source or changes file.
This can be done by a startup script you indicate to the VM at startup
time, or of course when you
package up an image.

Technically when the VM starts up it hunts for and finds the image to
use (lot of choice how that happens).
The important thing here is that it opens the image read-only, reads
the entire file into a memory block, closes it. and then starts the
process of fixing up oops endian & offset issues.

I will note that Windows users running from a CD can open files read or
write, Windows apparently lies about the ability to write. Other
operating system fail the open request.
Since you are using Linux this isn't an issue.  However people building
CDs for linux/windows/mac should be aware of this issue if they only
test on windows.

This won't work on operation systems that ensure open a file for write
on a read-only system is a failure condition.
On Mar 12, 2005, at 8:59 AM, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are preparing the next freeduc-cd release
> (http://www.ofset.org/freeduc-cd) which is a knoppix based
> distribution dedicated for education.
> We want to include Squeak in this release, however because of the
> nature of this system, we will need the VM Squeak to run over
> read-only .image and .change. It looks like Squeak can handle it, and
> it only complains at start up.
>
> Beside not been able to save the image, are there some traps behind?
>
> Hilaire Fernandes
>
> --
> http://www.ofset.org/petition
> Pétition de soutien au developpement