[ANN][SM] OSProcess 3.2.4 on SqueakMap

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Mar 13 14:55:10 UTC 2005

On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 05:53:26PM -0300, Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> I checking on Mac OS X 10.2.6.
>
> See the anomalous output in attached morph.
>
> The systems seems break a hole on Apple claims about security, if I right
> all seems as I was root, but it's not the case.
>
> Last login: Sat Mar 12 05:52:33 on ttyp1
> Welcome to Darwin!
> [localhost:~] edgar%
>
> Its what Termiinal said/

Hello Edgar,

Thank you for the feedback. I do not think there is a problem with
security, but you can use the command "$ id" in your Squeak shell
to check that you are not really running as root. Here is what I get
on my Linux system:

  $ id
  uid=501(lewis) gid=100(users) groups=100(users),14(uucp),16(dialout),17(audio),33(video)
  $

Actually, I think this looks very good so far. The only thing I can
see that does not look right is the current working directory, which
seems to be "/" on your system, rather than the Squeak home directory.
The CommandShell ("Squeak shell") should get the current working
directory from "FileDirectory default pathName" (not from the Unix
$HOME setting). What do you get when you evaluated "FileDirectory
default pathName" on your OS X system?

It was great that you sent me the SqueakShell.morph (I never tried
exporting Morphs like that, it works really well). I opened an explorer
on your Squeak shell from OSX, and another explorer on a Squeak shell
in my Linux system. I have attached GIFs of these so you can see the
difference in the currect working directory. (Note: current working
directory is kept in a dictionary, because Windows keeps different
CWD paths for drive C:, D:, etc.). I also have attached a Squeak
shell morph from my Linux system so you can compare it to your
Squeak shell on OS X.

I will try to explain the output of each command that you entered
in your Squeak shell:

  $ help

This ran an "internal command" to show a help listing. This is 100%
Smalltalk, no external commands.

  $ ls

This ran the external Unix command /bin/ls, just like a Unix shell
would do.  Your current working directory was "/", so it gave you
a listing of the root directory.

  $ man man

This ran the /usr/bin/man command. The Squeak shell does not understand
termcap things, so the output has double characters and backspaces.
Try the command "$ man man | col -b | edit" for a more readable man
page.  Also, note that Ian's telnet package on Squeak Map has good VT
terminal handling.

  $ pwd

This ran an internal command, 100% Smalltalk. It does not run a Unix
shell builtin, and it does not run /bin/pwd. It shows the current
working directory that your Squeak shell is using, which will typically
be different that the current working directory when you open a new
shell (xterm) in Unix. The command is working correctly, but I do not
know why the default directory is "/" on your system.

  $ cd ~
  ~: no such file or directory

This ran the internal command "cd", 100% Smalltalk. Unfortunately I
did not implement this bit of syntax (reproducing all of /bin/bash
would be a big job!). Therefore the internal command used the " ~ "
string literally, and it tried to change directory to "/~". Of course
there is no such directory, so the cd command failed and gave you
a "no such file or directory" message on its standard error stream.

Dave