describing multimedia content

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Mon Mar 14 00:07:39 UTC 2005

Martin Kuball wrote:

>Hi!
>
>It's been a little bit quiet here concerning the multimeda issues.

I've been out all week at the GDC. I'll get back into the swing by the
middle of this week.

>Now
>it the past few days I thought about a an issue we have not yet put
>on our list. Besides reading and writing audio and video data I would
>like to have a database that describes all the bits and peaces on my
>computer and external medias. And for that we need a good object
>model that describes the content and which can be made persistent
>(either in a relational db or in an object db).
>
>So what entities do we need? How do they relate to each other and how
>does existing stuff like id3 tags (is there more?) fit into it. At
>least there should be things like artists, genres, types and textual
>descriptions. Additionaly you would like to have thumbnails for
>images and videos and maybe low-bitrate samples of audio to give a
>quick info about the actual content.
>
>So, any ideas?

For audio, there are the typical (some of these are from Sony products,
but important none the less):
Filename
Location
Filesize
Last Saved
File type (Wave, SMF, etc)
Audio Format (ADPCM, uncompressed, etc.)
Audio Attributes (44k/16-bit)
Length (could be samples)
ACID Chunk?
SMPTE:
Loop(s): (where are the markers, is it a one shot, etc.)
Regions/Markers
Any Additional chunks (which would be important for items such as XMF or
iXMF)
Sector aligned?

Here's Sony's Summary:

Item

Description

Title

Enter the title of the project.

Subject

Enter name of the artist who performed in the project.

Engineer

Enter the name of the person who engineered the project.

Copyright

Enter copyright information about the project.

Comments

Enter any comments you want to associate with the project.

Extended

Click to display the Extended Summary
<mk:@MSITStore:C:%5CProgram%20Files%5CSony%5CShared%20Plug-Ins%5CHelp%20Files%5Cforge70.chm::/Extended_Summary_Dialog.htm>
dialog.

Load

Click to reset the current file's summary information fields to the
default settings. The default values can be set in the Extended Summary
dialog.

Picture

Click to display the Open Picture dialog, where you can select an icon,
bitmap, or cursor to be attached to the current file.

      <javascript:kadovTextPopup()>

Use the Format tab to change the data format of the current data window.
For more information about data formats, click here
<mk:@MSITStore:C:%5CProgram%20Files%5CSony%5CShared%20Plug-Ins%5CHelp%20Files%5Cforge70.chm::/Changing_Sound_Formats.htm>.

Item

Description

Sample rate

Choose a sample rate from the drop-down list or enter a value in the
edit box.

This setting will not resample
<mk:@MSITStore:C:%5CProgram%20Files%5CSony%5CShared%20Plug-Ins%5CHelp%20Files%5Cforge70.chm::/Resample.htm>
the sound file. If the playback rate is different from the originally
recorded rate, the pitch will vary unless the file is resampled.

Bit depth

Choose a bit depth from the drop-down list to specify the number of bits
used to store each sample value.

Channels

Click the Mono or Stereo radio button to select the number of tracks
stored in the file.

Use the Channel Converter
<mk:@MSITStore:C:%5CProgram%20Files%5CSony%5CShared%20Plug-Ins%5CHelp%20Files%5Cforge70.chm::/Channel_Converter.htm>
to perform advanced channel mixing.

Source

Displays the sample rate, bit depth, and number of channels in the
source file.

Process/DSP

Displays the sample rate, bit depth, and number of channels used when
processing your file.

Playback

Displays the sample rate, bit depth, and number of channels that will be
used for playback.

Cursor position

Displays the cursor position in the sound file using the current status
format
<mk:@MSITStore:C:%5CProgram%20Files%5CSony%5CShared%20Plug-Ins%5CHelp%20Files%5Cforge70.chm::/Choosing_a_Status_Format.htm>.

Sample value

Displays the sample value at the current cursor position in the sound file:

    *

      In 32-bit audio, these values range from -2147483648 to 2147483647.

    *

      In 24-bit audio, they range from -8388608 to 8388607.

    *

      In 16-bit audio, they range from -32768 to 32767.

    *

      In 8-bit audio, they range from -128 to 127.

Sound data size

Displays the amount of disk space being used by the sound data.

Undo buffers

Displays the number of undo buffers that exist for the sound file and
the amount of disk space they consume.

Redo buffers

Displays the number of redo buffers that exist for the sound file and
the amount of disk space they consume.

Sony's Format:

Item

Description

Sample rate

Bit depth

[...]

Just for the record, here is the extended summary list in sound forge:

Item

Description

IARL Archival Location

Indicates where the subject of the file is archived.

IART Artist

The artist of the original subject of the file.

ICMS Commissioned

The name of the person or organization that commissioned the subject of
the file.

ICMT Comments

General comments about the file or the subject of the file. If the
comment is several sentences long, end each sentence with a period. Do
not include new-line characters.

ICOP Copyright

Copyright information for the file. For example, © Copyright 2003 Sony
Pictures Digital Inc. If there are multiple copyrights, separate them by
a semicolon followed by a space.

ICRD Creation Date

The date the subject of the file was created. List dates in
year-month-day format, padding one-digit months and days with a zero on
the left. For example, 1964-03-02 for March 2, 1964.

ICRP Cropped

Describes whether an image or sound has been cropped and, if so, how it
was cropped. For example, Third movement, first through fourth bars.

IDIM Dimensions

The size of the original subject of the file. For example, 8.5 in h, 11
in w.

IDPI Dots Per Inch

The dots-per-inch setting of the digitizer used to produce the file.

IENG Engineer

The name of the engineer who worked on the file. If there are multiple
engineers, separate the names by a semicolon and a blank: Sayre, Jack;
Feith, John.

IGNR Genre

Describes the classification of the original work.

IKEY Keywords

Separate multiple keywords with a semicolon and a blank: Madison; aerial
view; scenery.

ILGT Lightness

Describes the changes in lightness settings on the digitizer required to
produce the file. The format of this information depends on hardware used.

IMED Medium

Describes the format of the original subject of the file.

INAM Name/Title

The title of the subject of the file, such as Madison From Above.

IPLT Palette Setting

The number of colors requested when digitizing an image.

IPRD Product

The name of the title the file was originally intended for, such as
Encyclopedia of Midwest Geography.

ISBJ Subject

Describes the contents of the file, such as Aerial view of Madison.

ISFT Software

The name of the software package used to create the file.

ISHP Sharpness

Identifies the changes in sharpness for the digitizer required to
produce the file. The format of this information depends on the hardware
used.

ISRC Source

The name of the person or organization who supplied the original subject
of the file.

ISRF Source Form

The original form of the material that was digitized, such as slide,
paper, map, and so forth. This is not necessarily the same as IMED.

ITCH Technician

The technician who digitized the file.

DISP Sound Scheme Title

Sets the title that is displayed for Microsoft Sound Systems.

Video suggestions in the next msg

--
Hear us online: www.Sonaural.com