Update from the p2p front

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Tue Mar 15 11:50:31 UTC 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 08:30:23 +0100, Markus Fritsche
<Fritsche.Markus at gmx.net> wrote:

> Well, I see my node is communicated in the transcript, but when I press
> 'refresh' in the P2P repo browser, the packages in the network don't
> show up.

That can happen with the current state of things. Presence information is
forwarded only when there are deltas, and then only the deltas are sent
on. So if you 'missed' a delta by taking a node off-line, you will not see
it unless the source node stays online until the lease expires, refreshes
the lease, and thus generates a new delta. The lease time is a day for the
MC P2P repo...

A possible fix could be to ask neighbouring nodes for their presence
information - but that could result in a massive amount of data being
transferred.

> Also, when I do AWGSingletonNode class>>#shutdown, TheInstance is
> nilled, but the AWGSingletonNode remains in the image, referenced by
> AWGServices subclasses (indirectly by processes). Does that thing die
> with the time?

That's something that needs to be looked at for every service - ideally,
of course, when you shut down the node, everything's cleaned up.

> I think, the AWGServices start another AWGSingletonNode by using
> AWGSingletonNode class>>#default, but using the old dead one in other
> places. Is that correct?

Can be - I'm having a problem deciding here: just making everything
dynamically fetch the singleton node would be easier, but testing and
simulation would suffer; by keeping references around, it's theoretically
possible to run a couple of hundred/thousand nodes in a single image (with
an appropriate networking layer instead of the UDP-based stuff) and that
is still one thing on my todo list.

In any case, it's a moot issue as far as shutdown is concerned - services
should probably register for a #shutdown event with the node and clean up.