Janitors Team Progress Report

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Wed Mar 16 17:19:40 UTC 2005

The Janitors Team is tasked with supporting the efforts of the
participants in the Harvesting Process.  Our long term goal is to help
build and maintain a working process that is as clear and as simple as
possible for everyone.  The way we are trying to achieve that goal is by
taking 'baby steps' achieving one small goal at a time.

The team as a whole is a bit more anarchistic than some of the other
teams.  If you have an interest in participating even if only in the
disussion please join the janitors mailing list by sending an email to
janitors-subscribe at discuss.squeakfoundation.org .

To complete the tasks themselves we form small 'sub-teams' where
membership and policy is more structured.

For our first task we formed a small group that is handling taking new
BUG, FIX, and ENH reports that appear on the squeak-dev list and post
them to the Mantis database at http://bugs.impara.de/ .  We refer to
this as the 'Task 1' team.  This process has been going on since March
3rd and has been going smoothly.  Membership to the Task 1 team is more
formal.  Currently we have plenty of team members but if you are
interested in joining the Task 1 team send an email to
janitors at discuss.squeakfoundation.org indicating this and I will contact
you with more information.

Doug Way pointed out that we really need to come up with some
instructions for how to post an issue to the Mantis Database.   At his
suggestion we called this 'Task 0'.  I had hoped we would be able to
complete this by last week.  Unfortunately this was not as simple as I
expected.  Currently we are debating how to handle categorizing bugs and
how to make this as simple and clear as possible to a reporter who may
be new to Squeak.  Participation in the discussion of this issue is open
to all simply by joining the janitors mailing list as mentioned above.

We will soon be forming a new sub-team related to the Task 1 team.  This
will be called 'Task 2'.  Similar to the Task 1 team, the Task 2 team
will be taking open issues in BFAV and moving them to the Mantis
database with the goal of being able to close the BFAV server.  I had
hoped to have started this task already but I want to complete and close
the Task 0 task first.  Similar to Task 1 this team will have more
formal membership with responsiblities.  If you are interested in
participating in this team please join the janitors mailing list and
send an email to the list expressing your interest.

Ken Causey