Modules Team progress report

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Wed Mar 16 19:14:04 UTC 2005

The first couple of weeks have been spent assembling various relevant perspectives.  These are pretty well summarized on our Swiki page,

	http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/5608

There has been a fair amount of discussion that overlaps the topic of packages, but this has been useful, as it creates a context of desirable features for a module system.  This is because one possible interpretation of the term "module" is that it is essentially the run-time manifestation of a package.

There are other interpretations that run more in the direction of Squeak projects, security and distributed computing.

I would say that we have reached a plateau in data gathering, and it is time now to focus on our intentions.

In the next couple of weeks we will partition this space of possible interpretations, enumerate a corresponding set of projects, and make some decisions regarding how best to proceed with implementation.  This will be the topic of our next report.