Cross-Platform Serial in General

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Wed Mar 16 19:37:33 UTC 2005

>On Wednesday 16 March 2005 10:29 am, Dan Ingalls wrote:
> > Ned Konz <ned at squeakland.org>  wrote:
>> >And MIDI?
>>
>> This makes me think of more areas where we need nice cross-platform
>> support.  Namely
>>
>>  USB
>> and
> >  BlueTooth.

Oops.  And, of course, I left out IrDA.

Ned Konz <ned at squeakland.org>  replied:
>One problem is that USB doesn't generally present itself as a generic serial
>stream (unless you're using a USB to serial converter, in which case it looks
>like a standard serial port).
>
>Instead, USB devices have different kinds of interface depending on their
>... (much snipped)

>Are there particular devices or types of devices that you'd like to interface
>to?

So far...
USB:  Weather Stations (just an RS232 replacement)
USB:  Experimenter I/O boards (ditto)
USB:  Joysticks
USB:  Cameras
BT and USB:  GPS
IrDA:  I wish I knew more about it.  Is it just computer-to-computer, or is it compatible with all the hand-held remote controllers and their hosts like TVs, boom boxes, even some cameras?  It would be cool to write Squeak programs on PDAs that could work as smart remotes.

	- Dan