[Q][RFI] Where ends a line of ASCII text ?

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at squeakland.org
Fri Mar 18 02:34:41 UTC 2005

  Edgar,

> I appreciate your opinion.
> The answer it's for reading external files on different OS ,maybe the
> SocketStream is a bad example , it's not my intention said this particular
> have any wrong.

  If you want to deal with external files, you use FileStream, right?
In 3.8 gamma Squeak, the FileStream (sub-)instance you create via:

  FileStream fileNamed: 'foo.txt'.

creates the stream that is capable to absorb the end-of-line
difference.

  In 3.8 gamma, you can say:

	f := FileStream fileNamed: 'foo.txt'.
	f wantsLineEndConversion: true.
        f converter: Latin1TextConverter new.
	lines := OrderedCollection new.
	[(line := f nextLine) ~= nil] whileTrue: [lines add: line].
	f close.

no matter what line-end-convention foo.txt uses.   (You may want to use:

        f converter: UTF8TextConverter new.
).

  FileStream is a few exception where Squeak needs to deal with the
outside world.  And it is handled reasonably well.

-- Yoshiki