Attempting to simplify/rationalize the Mantis setup

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Fri Mar 18 15:29:30 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 23:43 -0500, Doug Way wrote:
> On Thursday, March 10, 2005, at 11:07 AM, Ken Causey wrote:
> >
> > So does anyone have an argument with rearranging the (Mantis) projects
> > in this
> > way now, today?
> >
> > In other words create projects:
> >
> > Squeak A-C
> > Squeak D-F
> > Squeak G-I
> > Squeak J-L
> > Squeak M-O
> > Squeak P-R
> > Squeak S
> > Squeak T-V
> > Squeak W-Z
> >
> > to replace the current Squeak and Squeak Packages projects?
> >
> > If someone, like say Michael, could do that I would be happy to take
> > care of moving around categories and issues.
>
> I notice the new projects haven't been created yet.  I was wondering,
> though, is it reasonably easy to move issues from one project to
> another?  (No harder than changing categories?)

It's pretty easy at least for a Manager.  It's simple enough to setup a
filter that shows all reports for a given category (or even multiple
categories) then there is a button to select all displayed reports and
then another button to move all selected reports from one project to
another.  I'd prefer to do as much of this as soon as possible though as
I'm a little concerned about doing this for a larger set of reports
later.  In other words I'm inclined to over prepare a little bit now and
plan for more projects than we really need so that we only need to move
a few hundred reports around now rather than thousands later.  However I
may simply be violating YAGNI (as Ohshima reminds me in a separate
thread).  But then again I'm also writing documentation that hinges on
this and would prefer to not have to rewrite it any more than necessary.