TrueType

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sat Mar 19 19:07:24 UTC 2005

Ron Jeffries wrote:

>On Friday, March 18, 2005, at 3:21:43 PM, Ned Konz wrote:
>

>>You missed my later message, where I suggested to use a depth of 16 or 32
>>instead of 8.
>>

>That seems to make the black outlines go away (though /why/ I can't
>begin to imagine).

Simple. The anti-aliasing of the fonts means that the edges are actually
in shades of grey (assuming black text and white background). And in
8-bit depth, we're using a color map that isn't covering the range very
well. Apparently, when we do the 16-to-8 or 32-to-8 bit conversion
(because GIFs have an 8-bit depth) we do a better job of mapping the colors.

Also, if you're using GIFs you should make sure that the background is
opaque. Because of the anti-aliasing, the edges are a mixture of
background and text colors; when the background is transparent, that
would make the edges actually translucent (alpha between 0 and 1). Some
of the examples you showed suffer the ragged edges typical of rendering
antialiased text to a transparent background.

If you want to have a transparent image of these fonts, use PNG instead
of GIF. It handles translucency and larger color spaces.

> It's still cutting off the tops of letters and
>the descenders, though.

If you inspect the font itself (open an explorer on a TextMorph and find
the font), look at the 'lineGrid' (maybe in the TextStyle), 'ascender',
and 'descender' settings. You can change the lineGrid and try again.

Where's the font itself available so we can look at it?

>And I'm also wondering, just a little, why Squeak is using 15% of my
>CPU while it's minimized. 100% when I'm on the Graphics page. But
>that's a whole 'nother topic, I guess.

What Graphics page?