[OT] encodings (Re: Need help on Network programming)

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Tue Mar 22 15:16:00 UTC 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 19:25:43 -0800, Yoshiki Ohshima
<yoshiki at squeakland.org> wrote:

>   Historically, email preceded Unicode.  Web took off before Unicode
> took off.  Many site in these area of world doesn't use Unicode for
> these applications.  So, "...in Unicode space" isn't exactly
> accurate...

Well, I was using this figuratively in the meaning that we in Latin-1 land
live in the 'low unicode space' (the ASCII subset, so to say), but the
majority of the world has its native language 'up there'. Whatever actual
character set or encoding they use...

>   And Unicode isn't that great standard.

Hey... it's a standard... Better than the mess that preceded it, IMO.