UI hangups

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Wed Mar 23 09:17:23 UTC 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:06:04 -0500, Bill Schwab <BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu>
wrote:
> In all honesty, I cannot answer your question.  In my case, it was
> apparently a case of inadequate mutual exclusion.  I made a critical
> section bigger, and was no longer able to reproduce the lockup.  I no
> longer recall the details, but it was driven by looking at callstacks
> from other than the active process/thread.

The funny thing is - I have four machines running my p2p code. Of course,
I'm disorganized so they all run various base images :), but the p2p code
is the same. One image (on Linux) locks up very quickly; another image (on
Win2k) locks up now and then, the two other images (one on Win2k, one on
WinXP) just keep on running.

I lowered the priority of all p2p-related processes to 20. No special UI
code is running so even if I horribly deadlock my own threads, I would
expect that I'd still be able to get a response from Morphic.

That's why I'm a bit at a loss why this happens...

> I might be able to find what I did to make it work; let me know
> if you have interest; better still, let me know if there is collective
> interest in making what IMHO would be a very useful change to the VM.

Absolutely!