[OT] encodings (Re: Need help on Network programming)

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at squeakland.org
Wed Mar 23 18:34:00 UTC 2005

  Cees,

> >   Historically, email preceded Unicode.  Web took off before Unicode
> > took off.  Many site in these area of world doesn't use Unicode for
> > these applications.  So, "...in Unicode space" isn't exactly
> > accurate...
> >
> Well, I was using this figuratively in the meaning that we in Latin-1 land
> live in the 'low unicode space' (the ASCII subset, so to say), but the
> majority of the world has its native language 'up there'. Whatever actual
> character set or encoding they use...

  I know what you mean here.  I was just trying to make fun of the
"common" and "uncommon" issue.

> >   And Unicode isn't that great standard.
> >
> Hey... it's a standard... Better than the mess that preceded it, IMO.

  I know it is a standard.  That is why Squeak uses it now.

  It is a multi-facet issue so the word "better" would not explain the
relative positions of these technologies too well.  I think I
understand Unicode's pros.

  But, if you replace the word "multilingualization" with
"object-oriented programming", and "Unicode" with "Java", you might
get some of the idea ^^;

-- Yoshiki